Trucks, including big rigs and 18-wheelers, are an important part of the economy. These trucks carry customer goods to stores and transport raw materials to manufacturers, industries, and job sites. While these trucks are necessary, their size can make them a danger. In Texas in 2020, for example, there were 559 fatalities involving trucks and tractor trailers and over 45,000 accidents involving these types of vehicles.
When Should I Consult a Lawyer for a Truck Accident?
If you are in a trucking collision in Pflugerville, Round Rock, Manor, Bastrop, or the surrounding areas, you will want to take the correct steps to protect yourself and your finances. Part of that means contacting an attorney as soon as possible. Once you find yourself in a collision, start by getting emergency help for anyone who is seriously injured at the scene. If you can, take photos of the scene and get the names and contact information of any potential witnesses as well as insurance information from the truck driver.
As soon as possible, you may want to contact truck accident injury lawyers or a law firm. The sooner you get an attorney involved, the sooner your attorney can start securing evidence and building your case.
What Should I Look for When Choosing a Truck Accident Attorney?
You have a choice among many truck accident attorneys in Williamson, Travis, Bastrop, and Hays counties, and you want to find the right match. Not all truck accident lawyers are the same, so this is what to look for:
- Truck accident experience. Trucking accident lawyers need different experience than someone working on a bicycle accident case, so look for an attorney who has worked on truck accident cases similar to yours. This experience means they understand how to face a large trucking carrier and its powerful insurers.
- Previous results. Look for trucking accidents lawyers who have successfully secured money for those who have been injured. Experienced attorneys have helped many clients get compensation for their injuries and are happy to provide examples of these outcomes.
- Trial and negotiation experience. While many cases are settled out of court, it’s important to find a trucking accident lawyer who has experience before the courts. You want someone who is willing and able to take your case in front of a jury if that is the best way to secure fair compensation for you.
- A network of resources. Truck accident cases can be complex and may rely on expert witnesses or on accident investigators who can secure and examine a truck’s black box to determine what caused an accident. Experienced truck accidents attorneys have a network of trusted professionals they can rely on to help them investigate your crash.
- The language you need. If English is not your first language, it is important to find an attorney who is fluent in your native language. While court filings will be in English, your truck crash lawyer may need to discuss the details of your injury with you or even explain laws and legal processes to you. That will be much easier if you both speak the same language.
- Someone who works on a contingency fee basis. Look for a truck injury lawyer who doesn’t take money unless and until he or she wins money for you. This allows you to pursue a legitimate case without having to worry about medical bills and lawyer costs at the same time.
- Past clients. A good truck crash lawyer will have clients who were pleased with their experience and who are happy to speak on behalf of the attorney in testimonials.
When you are considering truck injury lawyers, there are a few ways you can find this information. Attorney websites can list testimonials, past case outcomes, and the experience of attorneys at a law firm. You can also consult with an attorney in person or over the phone to ask them questions and to evaluate how comfortable you might be working with a specific lawyer.
What Are Some Red Flags to Look For?
When you’re seeking a truck injury lawyer, you will want to look for an experienced and reputable attorney. To do that, you will also want to avoid attorneys with these red flags:
- High volume, small results. Some attorneys take lots of cases and settle them quickly out of court rather than fighting for the best outcome and compensation for their clients. If a truck accident injury lawyer has not secured any larger amounts, this can be a red flag.
- No time to answer your questions. Part of the job of a truck crash attorney is to give you information so you can make decisions about your case. If an attorney is not returning your calls and doesn’t have time for your questions, it may be better to walk away.
- Lack of support. Your attorney is there to help and if you feel uncomfortable around an attorney or feel you’re not getting the help you need, this may be a good reason to work with a different lawyer.
While it is possible to change attorneys after you have filed a claim, it is a complex process and can cause delays. For this reason, you want to start working with the right attorney from the beginning. It pays to consider what attorney makes you feel most comfortable and who seems most ready to pursue fair compensation for you.
How Can a Truck Accident Lawyer Help?
One reason why choosing the right truck accident injury attorney is so important is because the right lawyer can have a significant and powerful impact on your case and your potential outcome. Even the best attorney cannot guarantee compensation, but an experienced attorney understands the tactics truck companies and insurance companies use to avoid paying more and knows how to counter these strategies. A good attorney also knows how to accurately evaluate the likely total costs of your injury, so they can seek the right amount to cover your bills, lost income, property damage, and the other losses you may have suffered in your truck accident.
In addition, one of the reasons why you need a truck accident lawyer is that you may want someone to handle all the details of your claim. An attorney can handle the process, from filing your case to responding to motions from other attorneys, so you can focus on your health.
How Can Pastrana & Garcia Injury Law Help?
If you’re looking for truck injury attorneys in the Pflugerville, Round Rock, Manor, Bastrop, or surrounding areas, Pastrana & Garcia Injury Law has decades of experience helping injured individuals who are seeking fair compensation. We’re fully bilingual in English and Spanish and experienced both in negotiation and in presenting cases before state and federal courts. Pastrana & Garcia Injury Law is also proud to have secured multi-million dollar settlements and verdicts on behalf of our clients.
At Pastrana & Garcia Injury Law, we genuinely care about getting you fair compensation, but we don’t care about your immigration status and we keep our consultations confidential, so you can speak to us without risk.
Our legal team understands a trucking accident can be traumatic, which is why we offer free consultations, and you don’t pay us until we win on your behalf. To find out more about how we do things and to discover whether you may have a claim, contact Pastrana & Garcia Injury Law for a free, confidential consultation.