With a population of under 10,000, Bastrop is a community in Bastrop County, Texas, located southeast of Austin. Bastrop is considered an excellent place to live, but like in any community, injuries can and do happen here.
Bastrop County has a higher injury rate than the national average. The county has an accidental death rate of 61.6 per 100,000 residents, compared with a rate of 58.5 for the country as a whole.
Knowing what to do if you suffer a serious injury is important because the decisions you make after an accident can affect your life for years to come.
What Is a Personal Injury?
“Personal injury” is an umbrella term that refers to any serious harm which occurs to you because of someone’s negligence or intentional action. Under Texas law, personal injury is a type of practice area. If you have been injured because of someone else, you may be able to file a personal injury claim to seek financial recovery or money to pay for the costs of your injury. You may be able to seek compensation for lost wages, pain and suffering, medical bills, and other costs related to your injury.
What Kinds of Personal Injuries Might Someone Experience in Bastrop?
Injuries are much more common than many people realize. Across America, 24.8 million doctor’s visits and 97.9 million emergency room visits are made each year because of unintentional injuries. Common types of injuries Bastrop residents experience include:
- Car accidents. Car accidents are one of the leading causes of serious injury and death in Texas. Each year, distracted driving, drunk driving, reckless driving, speeding, and other factors cause head-on crashes, rear-end shunt accidents, and other collisions. Even if your car is equipped with airbags and you are wearing a seatbelt and are driving carefully, you could be injured because of another driver’s bad driving.
- Head injuries. In car accidents, workplace accidents, and other incidents, you can suffer traumatic brain injury if your head crashes against a solid object or if your head is shaken violently. When this happens, your brain can crash around the inside of the skull and swell, bruise, or bleed, causing potentially life-changing injury.
- Work-related accidents. Common workplace injuries include falls, exposure to dangerous substances, crushing injuries caused by heavy machinery, and other injuries. If your job requires you to drive, traffic accidents can also be a risk factor.
- Burn injuries. Fires and chemical burns can cause scarring and can also affect the muscles under the skin, leading to mobility problems and chronic pain. Burn injuries can be caused by unsafe electronics, workplace injuries, car accidents, and other situations.
- Construction accidents. Busy construction sites are one of the most dangerous workplaces because they usually mean working on scaffolding or at heights or with heavy machinery or dangerous chemicals. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has rules in place to make sure construction sites follow safety practices, but some sites are negligent in keeping their workplaces safe.
- It’s possible to lose a limb or part of a limb in a truck accident, workplace accident, and in other ways. The affected body part may be severed during an accident or may need to be surgically removed to save a patient’s life. This permanent injury can affect mobility, a person’s ability to work, and may require rehabilitation and additional care for the rest of a person’s life.
- 18-wheeler accidents. Commercial trucks such as 18-wheelers are important for the economy. They deliver products to stores and industrial materials to factories, among other transports. When they are in accidents, however, their size and weight make trucks dangerous. In crashes, 18-wheelers can crush smaller cars and their occupants and can even cause multiple-car collisions.
- Back injuries and spinal cord injuries. In truck accidents, workplace accidents, falls, and other situations, a direct hit to the back and spinal cord can cause serious injuries to the bones, nerves, and other parts of the spine. This can leave someone paralyzed or in chronic pain.
Other injuries can happen in Bastrop, too, including pedestrian accidents, motorcycle accidents, bicycle accidents, and other injuries. In addition to serious injuries that can cause significant suffering, fatal injuries occur each year. In some cases, these can lead to wrongful death claims, where the immediate family members of someone who has been killed by negligence can file a legal claim.
How Do Injuries Commonly Happen?
While we talk about workplace accidents, car accidents, and other situations as “accidents,” in many cases they are preventable and are caused by people’s actions. They may be caused by:
- Wrongful acts. Someone’s intentional action, such as a road rage incident where a driver hits another car on purpose, can make them liable for the injury. In many cases, poor choices such as distraction or drunk driving can cause injuries.
- Negligence is one of the most common causes of injuries. With negligence, a person or party may not necessarily mean to harm anyone, but they are reckless and can easily cause an injury. For example, a driver may not check for oncoming traffic before making a turn, and this inattention can cause a collision and injury to someone else.
- Breach of duty of care. Another common cause of injuries has to do with people or companies violating their duty. For example, when you go into a store to buy something, you expect the store to take reasonable measures to keep you safe and to sell you safe products. Stores are expected to do this. But if the property owner does not take proper care of their property or if the manufacturer of the product you’re buying is not careful to design a safe product, you can be at risk.
No matter what has caused your injury, consider whether someone has played a role. Do not assume you have no chance of recovery; if you have been injured, speak with an experienced personal injury attorney to talk about your options.
When Should You Consider Retaining a Personal Injury Attorney?
If you have been injured and may face medical bills, lost time at work, and other expenses or financial losses, you might want to speak to an attorney right away. This doesn’t mean you retain an attorney immediately, but in a confidential consultation you can find out whether you have a claim so you can decide what to do next.
It may not always be obvious right away how much your injury can cost you or whether your injuries were caused by someone’s negligence. A personal injury lawyer in Bastrop, Texas, can help uncover these facts and can tell you how much your claim may be worth. If you decide to pursue a claim, an attorney can also help you with many of the steps of the process, which can include:
- Gathering evidence
- Finding all liable parties in your case
- Officially filing the documents to start your claim
- Negotiating with the other parties in your case
- Gathering and sharing information during the discovery process
In many cases, the process can take months or even over a year, so working with an experienced Bastrop injury lawyer is important. Your attorney can negotiate settlements, review offers, and keep you updated about your case. He or she will make sure all the paperwork is filed, will respond to all motions by other parties and ultimately take your case to trial.
You pay no fees unless we recover your compensation!
Remember, if you are the victim of an accident, YOU ARE NOT ALONE, CALL US FOR YOUR FREE CONSULTATION! 737-530-8604
What Should You Look for in a Personal Injury Lawyer in Bastrop?
If you have been injured and are considering a Bastrop injury law firm, it’s important to look for experienced attorneys who have successfully worked on cases similar to yours.
Choosing a Bastrop injury lawyer who is not experienced can mean that you end up with less financial recovery than you deserve. A less experienced attorney may not know when to settle and may not be familiar with all the strategies defendants may use
Beyond seeking out a Bastrop injury attorney with experience, look for an attorney who communicates well and makes you comfortable. You will be working closely with your personal injury lawyer in Bastrop, Texas, so find someone you trust.
How Can Pastrana Injury Law Help, And Why Choose Them Specifically?
Pastrana & García Injury Law is a Bastrop law firm combining more than 30 years of experience with deep empathy for clients. Our Bastrop car accident lawyers and entire team serve the Bastrop community and surrounding Texas area with pride, and we understand that many people come to us at difficult times. It’s why we offer fully bilingual Spanish and English services and a caring, family-friendly law firm.
When you consult with us, we keep your situation confidential, and we only charge a fee if we secure compensation on your behalf. We believe this reduces the stress on you and allows you to focus on healing from your injury. At Pastrana & García Injury Law, we also are willing to travel to you if you’re too injured to come to us. We have handled cases in Texas, Colorado, New Mexico, and Mexico and we work with clients with many types of immigration statuses.
There is no risk in speaking to us, even if you’re not sure you might be able to pursue a lawsuit. Whether you need a Bastrop workplace injury lawyer, car accident attorney, or any personal injury lawyer, contact Pastrana & García Injury Law for a fully free, completely confidential consultation.